Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Summer Lovin (Having a blast!!)

“Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who are alive.”
–Howard Thurma

If the 90 degree weather wasn't enough of a wake up call that summer has FINALLY arrived, the activities of this week are a good reminder! My most beloved employment task involves creating and leading a six week summer day camp program for newly arrived refugee children. I'm on year six and going strong! The fun includes beach days, museum trips, art projects, ice cream eating and non-stop cross cultural goodness. This year we have kids from Burma, Bhutan (Nepal), Iraq, Congo, Columbia, Liberia and Cuba. Stay tuned for more updates on the kids and my sanity!

4 comments:

Stacy Peterson said...

Can I volunteer?? Wow- how awesome!

I am sure you are also exhausted, but thanks for your work with this community- so important!!

Jen said...

I wish I lived close...I would love to be a part of your camp. I love the quote, also.

Zach and Erin Kennedy said...

I was doing my usual afternoon blog stalking and I noticed on your profile that you are from Arkansas. I don't see to many Arkansans on here so I had to say hi! Where in Arkansas are you from? I grew up in Hot Springs but live in Northwest Arkansas now (Springdale). ANyways...can't wait to hear of referral news!

~Rachel~ said...

WOW! What an incredible time that sounds like. Praying for strength, wisdom, and that you would be able to see and share so much of what God does in these children's and their family's lives.